What is personal information?
“Personal information” is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
“Sensitive information” is a special category of personal information. Sensitive information includes health information, genetic information and information about an individual’s race or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, sexual orientation or practices or criminal record.
How we collect personal information
The Universal Biosensors Group collects personal information in a variety of ways, including:
- when you interact with it in person, in writing, by telephone, via email or online;
- when you submit a query through one of its websites;
- when you register a SENTIA device;
- when you attend or register for one of the Universal Biosensors Group’s events (including online events) or other events in which the Universal Biosensors Group participates; and
- if you apply for a job or position with the Universal Biosensors Group.
The Universal Biosensors Group will generally collect personal information directly from you, however, it may also collect your personal information via its distributors or from a credit reporting agency where it conducts a credit check.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
The kinds of personal information the Universal Biosensors Group collects and holds about you depends on the nature of your dealings with the Universal Biosensors Group and the circumstances of collection.
- if you submit a query through one of its websites, it may collect your name and contact details and any other information you choose to provide;
- if you deal with the Universal Biosensors Group as a supplier, distributor or contractor, it may collect your name and contact details;
- if you register a SENTIA device, it may collect:
- information about your use of the website;
- information that you provide for the purpose of registering your device with the Universal Biosensors Group (including your name, address and contact details); and
- details of the transactions carried out over the website.
The Universal Biosensors Group may also collect details of the interactions you have with it.
The Universal Biosensors Group does not generally collect sensitive information and will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless it is otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so).
If you are or become an employee of the Universal Biosensors Group, the handling of your personal information by the employing entity may be exempt from the Australian Privacy Principles if it is directly related to your current or former employment relationship with the Universal Biosensors Group.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
The Universal Biosensors Group may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes, including:
- to respond to your enquiries about its products and services;
- to supply its products and services;
- to process your orders and communicate with you about those orders;
- to enable your access to and use of its websites, and to personalise your use of the websites;
- to activate and send calibration data to your SENTIA device;
- to send you products and materials that you purchase or otherwise request from the Universal Biosensors Group;
- to send you statements and invoices and generally manage its financial relations with you;
- to collect and process payments from you;
- to administer your participation in its events if you attend or register for any of the Universal Biosensors Group’s events;
- to send you marketing communications;
- to communicate with its international distributor partners about you where required;
- to provide you with customer service or technical support, and deal with any complaints or feedback you have;
- for its administrative purposes and internal record keeping;
- to perform research and analysis, and improve or develop its products or services;
- to manage its relationships with its suppliers, distributors or contractors; and
- to consider applicants for current and future positions with the Universal Biosensors Group.
The Universal Biosensors Group may use and disclose your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including purposes for which you have provided your consent).
If the Universal Biosensors Group is unable to collect personal information from or about you, it may not be able to respond to your requests or enquiries or engage in other dealings with you.
The Universal Biosensors Group may use your personal information so that it can contact you with information about its products and services, webinars, events, surveys and industry news as well as product and service developments that may be of interest to you.
You can let the Universal Biosensors Group know at any time if you no longer wish to receive these communications, by contacting it (using the contact details at the end of this policy) or using the opt-out/unsubscribe facility in its communications.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting its business, the Universal Biosensors Group may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties include, where appropriate:
- its related companies;
- applicable regulatory and law enforcement bodies;
- its distributors and other third parties involved in providing or promoting its goods and services to you;
- debt collector or credit reporting agencies;
- financial institutions for payment processing;
- its contracted service providers, including information technology service providers and external business advisors (such as auditors and lawyers);
- in the case of a sale of its business (in whole or part), to the purchaser (as an asset of the business); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you have provided to the Universal Biosensors Group.
The Universal Biosensors Group may also disclose your personal information to other third parties and for other purposes where it is required or authorised by or under law to do so (including where you have provided your consent).
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
Some of the Universal Biosensors Group’s related companies, distributors and service providers are located outside Australia. As a result, personal information collected and held by the Universal Biosensors Group may be transferred to recipients in other countries. For example, Universal Biosensors Inc.’s subsidiary, Hemostasis References Laboratories Inc., is located in Canada. In addition, the Universal Biosensors Group has distributors for its products in the US, Europe, New Zealand, South Africa and South America.
How we hold personal information, and quality and security of your data
The Universal Biosensors Group generally holds personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for it by its service providers. It takes reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. While this includes taking reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information, the Universal Biosensors Group cannot guarantee that such information will not be lost, misused or altered.
The Universal Biosensors Group takes reasonable steps to ensure the personal information it collects, uses and discloses is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. You can help the Universal Biosensors Group by letting it know (using the contact details at the end of this policy) about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number.
If you have any concerns about the manner in which the Universal Biosensors Group has collected or handled your personal information or wish to make a complaint about an alleged breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, you may contact the Universal Biosensors Group at email@example.com. It will take steps to deal with any complaint and/or alleged breach in a timely manner and will respond to you within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with its response, you can contact the Universal Biosensors Group to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Cookies are files with small amounts of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
Like many sites, the Universal Biosensors Group uses “cookies” to collect information on its websites. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of the Universal Biosensors Group’s websites.
The Universal Biosensors Group uses traffic and visitor information from its websites to analyze trends, help diagnose problems with its servers, to monitor traffic / usage in order to provide better service and to improve its understanding of the use of its websites and in order to determine what services are the most popular. The data may also used to deliver customized content and advertising within its websites to individuals whose behaviour indicates that they are interested in a subject area.
Access to and correction of your personal information
If you wish to access or correct the personal information the Universal Biosensors Group holds about you, you can do so by making a request to the Universal Biosensors Group using the contact details below. The Universal Biosensors Group will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions permitted by law), but may impose a charge cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Contact Universal Biosensors
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- by post to:
Universal Biosensors, Inc.